I’m sure I am not the only one who gets a little too excited every year when Hot Cross Buns come on sale. It’s happening earlier and earlier, just after Christmas this year-round – but obvious I oblige and buy a few every trip to the supermarket.
They are just so delicious, …and I need to make up for all those long months after Easter when they are no longer available. Just think about how terrible it must be to live in a country that doesn’t have them…Iran. Japan. Finland. I have to say it: life just wouldn’t be quite as good without them.
Sometimes, my eyes are bigger than my stomach, and I commit the sin of allowing hot cross buns to get a bit stale. Sure, I could toast them up – which I often do – but sometimes, you just want to do something a little more indulgent. Something with a twist. Enter this Cherry And Dark Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Pudding recipe – a fabulous twist on the classic bread and butter pudding. Just more decadent and fun.
Not too sweet, the cherry and dark chocolate perfectly compliment my favorite spiced bun – and there is lots of room for flexibility here. Once you have made it a few times, you can experiment with different chocolates, berries, jams, and more. Or even try making it with those new-fangled Chocolate Hot Cross Buns – though I am a bit of purist here.
Even better, this Cherry And Dark Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Pudding recipe is easy to make – you can’t really do it wrong. Not only is it a perfect dessert – but left overnight, it can be slightly warmed for a delicious ( if high calorie) breakfast. Don’t blame me, however, if the addiction spirals out of control and you end up with a freezer full of hot cross buns to make sure you can last all year round.
What? What is the other solution? To make Hot Cross Buns year-round. Hmmm, now there is an idea…
Cherry And Dark Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Pudding Recipe
An easy-to-follow Cherry And Dark Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Pudding recipe, perfect for when you have too many buns leftover. A decadent take on a class bread and butter pudding.
- 6 hot cross buns
- 40 g butter
- ¼ cup cherry jam (or any berry jam)
- 1 cup cherries, frozen and pitted
- 150 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup double cream
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- icing sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 340ºF (170ºC). Lightly grease a large shallow ovenproof dish (approx 25 x 32cm).
- Halve the hot cross buns and spread each with the butter, and then the jam. Arrange in the oven dish alternating the bases - jam-side up - with the tops, cross side up. Sprinkle evenly with the cherries and dark chocolate.
- Whisk eggs lightly in a large bowl and then add the milk, cream, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Pour the mixture evenly over the buns. Set aside to soak for 15 mins, pressing the buns down into the mix as they soften.
- Bake for 40-50 mins until the mixture is set. Remove and allow to stand for 5 mins. Serve warm, dusted lightly with icing sugar if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 639Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 228mgSodium: 371mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 3gSugar: 55gProtein: 14g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.